Tales of love, friendship, and everything in between.

At first, my blog was basically complaints, but then I realized nobody wants to sit there and read about my whining. Plus, I'm really not THAT negative a person. Enjoy.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Well, ladies and gents, I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to come and update my blog. I've been busy lately. I'm back now, though! I've got a whole month to obnoxiously and obsessively update this blog. Be prepared.
Anyway, telling you that I won't have a life for the next month is not the point of this posting. The real aim of this post is to talk about a little thing called respect. Aretha sang a song about it, famous people have it (through no credit of their own, solely because of the media's focus on rich, beautiful people thusly making them into these huge megastars for no reason), and George Bush will never get it from me even if he is the president.

What brought this subject to my attention, you ask? Well, recently, I was at a friendly gathering and was majorly disrespected by the mere act of two people I've known my whole life walking out in the middle of my explanation of a game we were going to play. Really, wow. It may not seem like such a big deal to some people reading this post, but the people who were there can attest to the amazingly blatant disregard these two portrayed (plus there were only like 12 people there, so walking out was that much more disrespectful). I just don't understand some people. Do I have to be lightyears ahead of people academically or in age for them to respect me? When does someone earn your respect? Do they have it until they lose it?

For me, for example, when I am introduced to someone, I have a certain amount of respect for them already, because if they associate with the same person with whom I associate, they must have some level of credence. So when I get to know the person (if they are worth getting to know further), my respect for them usually elevates, otherwise, why would I take it out of my day to hang out with them or get to know them more?

Now, when you lose my respect, it is unbelievably hard to regain it (mostly because it takes a lot for me to drop you to a non-respected level). So if someone is acting disrespectful to me, is it my duty to keep acting with the same level of respect to them? I doubt it. I would expect from myself, if I don't talk to them about what happened, at least play down to their level when dealing with them (as much as I usually don't like to "sink to another level", sometimes there is a need for it).

There are people from whom you expect a certain level of respect and politeness because you know that the way they were raised allows them to do nothing less. Disappointingly, the older of the two girls, who I expected much more from, acted the way she did. That hurt way more than the younger of the two doing it alone, because I had high expectations for the older one.

It's really just too bad when people act a fool with me, because unless you are truly important to me, I will not bother. I'll brush it off, bitch about it for a bit, then go on with my life. I will not put the effort into reconstructing the relationship. Easy? Not always. Wise? I'm not sure, but ever since I've stopped fretting about people who don't really matter to me, I've been a lot better off. If you come up with a better way to deal with people's annoying tendencies, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home