Tales of love, friendship, and everything in between.

At first, my blog was basically complaints, but then I realized nobody wants to sit there and read about my whining. Plus, I'm really not THAT negative a person. Enjoy.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Frenemies

After watching the Sex And The City episode "Frenemies" a couple of nights ago on my laptop, it made me think about my own frenemies. Sadly enough, I have come to realize that I have more frenemies than actual friends, and that --gasp!-- not everyone has the ability to be loyal or trustworthy if you give them the chance. Not everyone is friend material. My question is whether or not everyone has realized the profound truth of The Frenemy.

How could one not come to the conclusion that most people are "friends" with one just for companionship and competition? Healthy human nature dictates a thirst to be the best, but it is our mutual love and an accomplishment of character when one surpasses said thirst and offers a true hand of friendship.

What is it that makes up a good friend? It's probably different for everyone, but how about honesty? trustworthiness? openness? unconditional love? Is unconditional love possible except within families? I mean, sure, I can piss my mom off and be mean to her, but when I apologize (and after she stays pissed for a while), she'll come around and we'll be fine. So what about friends? How deep does your friendship have to be to reach that level? I remember when we were little, kids used to do the "bloodbrother" thing and cut their arm or something and press their wounds together and say that they were "blood siblings" now (what if one of them had HIV and didn't know it?). Is that how close you have to be not to be a pair of frenemies?

Another question, to be actual friends and not frenemies, do you have to know eachother's deepest, darkest secrets, or does that just happen eventually because you trust that person that much?

Let's just say that it's interesting that people tend to ignore the idea of the frenemy when they, themselves, are HUGE frenemies. The way people act leads me to believe that people want to walk around with blinders. Take 'em off and be wary is all I got to say; only few are who they seem to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home