Tales of love, friendship, and everything in between.

At first, my blog was basically complaints, but then I realized nobody wants to sit there and read about my whining. Plus, I'm really not THAT negative a person. Enjoy.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Some old post about Islam

Hey, everyone, I wrote this blog a while ago, but I never put it up. So now I'm posting it:

I haven't been blogging for a while. I dunno why. Let's see, what's happened since I last blogged? I went to an Arab film conference and there was only one good movie: Route 181. It's a Palestine-Israeli documentary about the daily life of people living on UN resolution 181's border. You should watch it. I also got to talk to the Palestinian of the two directors, Michel Khleifi (pronounced Mish-el-ikh-leih-fee). I guess I've been reading a lot more into Islam lately, Alhdamulilah, instead of spending my time doing other things like watching incessant TV. I still do watch it, but mostly "Law and Order" and "Monk". And then I usually watch an episode of Friends before I sleep to relax me. I'm trying to make my Arabic tongue stronger, so I read the Qur'an in English and Arabic simultaneously, since I already have a strong English core. It can help me better understand the Arabic. If all else fails, I can always resort to bombarding my dad with questions. He's pretty well-versed in Islam, mashaa Allah.

For some reason, lately, I find myself wishing Islam on people who aren't Muslims who I love. People who I know are very, very good, but haven't chosen Islam as their way of life. I even wish I could go back in time and help bestow Islam on good people in history, like Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr. What really made me thing about it was the other day, I was sitting thinking about Nelson Mandela and doing some online research about him (instead of my homework). And I just wish he can come into Islam before his time comes. It's not like I'm going to go around telling people to convert or anything, but I've been thinking, I should lead by example. Be the best Muslim possible not only for my own sake, but for my little brother's, my friends', my children's (some day Inshaa Allah).

If all Muslims led their life keeping in mind that they represent Islam, things will be going a lot smoother for us, right? Well, somewhat. If all 1.5 (is is still 1.5 now?) Muslims pursued life as Islamically as possible, then no Muslim would be hungry, no Muslim would be turning on his Muslim brother (in reference to the present Civil War). In turn, also, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, all would see how pleasant Islamic life is. It would be hard for the media to portray a people badly if they all lived by Shari'a, the Qur'an, and Sunna. As Imam Siraj Wahhaj once said, "Islam is perfect, but Muslims are imperfect." If Islam is followed to the T, or close to the T, then a lot of problems Muslims are facing today wouldn't be present.

For those of you who are non-Muslim who are reading this, I don't mean to impose my religion on you or condemn your way of life at all. I completely believe in "to each his own". However this has really worked for me. And in understanding Islam more, it's helped me want to reach a certain level of piety more. And I have a LONG LONG way to go, but I feel a little more clear about it.

Anyway, everyone, I hope you're having the best of summers! Keep in touch!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Wanksta said…

    Salams!

    I do this ALL THE TIME. Best thing you can do is make very specific du'a on a consistent basis for individuals. This is evidenced by the prominent prophetic example which preceded 'Umar's conversion, may God be pleased with him.

    Sometimes...when I sit on a bus or in the passenger seat of a car...I look at pedestrians or drivers and think, very metaphysically, how a person, a city street, a continent or more, are living and breathing without, for the most part, considering Islam as their option.

    I feel this MOST intensely at sunset. If I am out and about I become very tense about finding a place to pray on time. I realize it is my concern only, in most instances (when I am not with Muslims). I look around and realize that a large portion of the humans around me are probably not even cognizant of the sun setting, much less stressing out about it.

    You are right, though. Live Islam as it is to be lived and you won't even realize the far-reaching affects it has on people around you.

    Yay.
    Salam.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Ayah, it's your blog, so first off, you're allowed to speak about your faith, as well as your hopes. I know I do the same in regards to Christianity. I should hope no one takes offense to my ponderings.

    I think that if all Christians were to actually follow the example of Christ, then, between Muslims and Christians, we'd have at least half of the world's population would not be hungry, or poor, or hurting, or fighting.. and it is safe to assume, then, that if Muslims and Christians not only took care of those who practiced their respective faiths but also took care of just ONE OTHER PERSON in the world, all 6 billion would be covered.

    That's a little sad to me, then, that there are so many people hungry, poor, lonely, in pain, fearful, hopeless..

    Anyway, I really appreciate that you live your faith. I respect you so much for it. I also respect you for being intentional about living it not only in your private life but publically. At the very least, it brings the good name to Islam that it deserves.

    I can only hope I do the same for Christianity.

    On a different note, when are you, Maggie, and I getting together? I miss you and I think it's about time I meet this girl.

    Take care Ayah..

    Love
    Stephanie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home