Tales of love, friendship, and everything in between.

At first, my blog was basically complaints, but then I realized nobody wants to sit there and read about my whining. Plus, I'm really not THAT negative a person. Enjoy.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

American Idol: It's all about the Young'uns

While writing up my lab report, I was watching American Idol, as usual. So, it was the top twelve girls tonight; and as I was watching, I noticed a trend: the best vocalists were among the younger of them.

1. LISA TUCKER- SIXTEEN FRIGGIN YEARS OLD and an astounding vocalist. Her voice really got your attention and her cute-girl demeanor was a clincher to win America's heart.

2. PARIS BENNETT- 17 years of age, granddaughter of Anne Bennett, one of the great R&B singers of our past. At her first audition, she amazed us with some Billie Holiday and voice control beyond her years. Tonight, she sang "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips and had such energy and charisma in her flawless performance.

3. KATHARINE MCPHEE- 21 years old. She is ADORABLE. She will remind everyone of their cute, down to earth friend who is self-effacing and doesn't know how cute she really is, without have a lack of self-esteem. She flat-out had the best voice of the night.

The last great performance of the night was by MANDISA: Mandisa is 29, but has an amazing Aretha-esque voice. She is fantastic. For those of you who don't remember her, she is the one who is heavy and had words with Simon about his joke about needing a bigger stage.

Although there's some major talent in this competition, there are some people that I'm surprised as hell they made it through. Are these judges serious? I usually agree with what Simon says, and I have all night. Randy and Paula have sent through some seriously vocally-impaired human beings. I just don't understand how they made it through. Take for instance MELISSA MCGHEE, she was a pageant contestant and Paula keeps talking about her "sultry" voice. All I hear is some chick who's smoked way too much in her 21 years. You know those people who have raspy voices naturally? She's not like that. She must've done some serious smoking.

NOT EVERYONE WHO SINGS BELONGS IN THIS COMPETITION: There was a girl named STEVIE SCOTT who was trained as an opera singer. My advice: stay in opera. You do not belong in pop. Really, she tried singing this one song Josh Groban sang (not "You Raise Me Up"), I don't remember the name of it and was talking about becoming his female counterpart. Um... NO. She sang it in this falsetto voice that was an octave higher than she should've done it and was purely annoying to listen to. Seriously, innovation's good, but not like that... not like that.

Unfortunately, tomorrow I will be in class when American Idol's on. Maybe I'll have Maggie TiVo it or my parents tape it, because the boys are on tomorrow. And I've heard a lot of promising voices from them. More on that when I see that footage.

Ciao!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home